Furthering the Advancement and Impact
of Medical Device
Who We Are. What We Do.
MedExecWomen is an organization focused on empowering female executives to accelerate the positive impact of medical devices, diagnostics, drug delivery and digital healthcare around the world. We’re committed to:
- Creating a network of executive women in medtech and facilitating connections.
- Improving gender parity in medtech leadership positions.
- Educating executives about the benefits of diverse leadership teams and how to optimize talent.
- Supporting the development of leadership skills through training and advancement programs.
Our inaugural MedExecWomen Conference will be held on April 2, 2019, hosted by Rupa Basu, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Corporate Accounts & Strategy at BIOTRONIK. MedExecWomen 2019 is an invitation-only event.
The inaugural MedExecWomen conference will be held on April 2, 2019 at the BIOTRONIK Education and Innovation Center located at Hudson Square SoHo, New York. MedExecWomen 2019 is an opportunity to connect with female executives in medtech for networking, learning and inspiration. A one-day event, MedExecWomen 2019 features industry executives discussing dynamic topics to provide insight that empowers women and accelerates progress. Panel discussion topics include:
- Funding strategies for early-stage medtech companies.
- Designing a reimbursement strategy that maximizes investments.
- Connecting with your target audience through social media.
- How to innovate in a Fortune 500 medtech company.
Breakfast and lunch is sponsored by BIOTRONIK, Inc. A networking wine reception and dinner will conclude the conference.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
7-8 a.m. — Breakfast
8-8:30 a.m. — Welcome & Introduction to MedExecWomen
Rupa Basu, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Corporate Accounts & Strategy, BIOTRONIK
8:30-9:15 a.m. — A Patient’s Story: Kristina Sheridan, Department Head, Center for Veterans Enterprise Transformation, MITRE Corporation and Kate Sheridan, MS Student at Oxford University
Kristina is an expert in patient empowerment. As a principal investigator for MITRE, she identifies and evaluates methods to empower patients with chronic illnesses to better manage their care and to fully engage with providers to improve their health outcomes. Her long struggle with her daughter’s personal health crisis with Lyme disease and journey forged her role as patient advocate for her daughter that launched MITRE’s Patient Engagement research..
9:15-10:15 a.m. — Panel 1: The Lifecycle of Funding from A to Z
Moderator: Karen Zaderej, President, CEO & Chairman of the Board at AxoGen, Inc.
How to raise your first round of funding? The last several years have proved challenging for medtech companies. Shifting climates for public and private reimbursement, coupled with a weaker appetite for medtech investments within the venture capital community have made it especially difficult for early- stage companies to secure funding. This panel will explore recent trends in funding. Panelists include:
- Maria Palasis, CEO, Lyra Therapeutics
- Surbhi Sarna, President, nVision Medical (acquired by Boston Scientific)
- Joyce Erony, Managing Partner, Amzak Health
- Darshana Zaveri, Managing Partner, Catalyst Health Ventures
10:15-10:30 a.m. — Break
10:30-11:30 a.m. — Panel 2: The Value Framework and Reimbursement Strategy
Moderator: Meghna Eichelberger, Principal, Boston Consulting Group
How can a company maximize its investments by spending on reimbursement activities that drive the most value? This panel will walk through the process of defining key success factors in global market access. Panelists include:
- Martha Shadan, President & CEO, Miach Orthopaedics
- Maria Stewart, Global VP, Health Economics and Market Access, Boston Scientific
- Stephanie Wimmer, Senior Director, Global Reimbursement, Medtronic
- Don May, EVP, Payment and Healthcare Delivery Policy, AdvaMed
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. — Lunch
12:30-1:15 p.m. — Executive Interview: Celine Martin, Global President of Digital Surgery at Johnson & Johnson and Ethicon
Interviewer: Maria Shepherd, President, Medi-Vantage
1:15-1:45 p.m. — Liz Bywater, PhD: Slow Down to Speed Up Leadership: The Key to Unstoppable Growth in a Complex World
1:45-2:30 p.m. — Panel 3: How to Innovate in a Fortune 500 medtech company
Moderator: Mary Beth Moynihan, SVP, Corporate Marketing and Market Access, Boston Scientific. Panelists include:
- Dave Knapp, VP, R&D, Boston Scientific
- Tracy Accardi, Global VP, Research & Development, Hologic
- Tracy McNeal, President, Diagnostics and Digital Health, Ximedica
- Helen Routh, Board Chair, Ultromics (former SVP Strategy & Innovation, Head of Integrated Solutions, Philips)
2:30-3 p.m. — Break
3-3:45 p.m. — Panel 4: Solutions to use Social Media to Reach a Healthcare Audience
Moderator: Stacey Holifield, President & Founder, Levitate
How do we create and implement communication strategies that tell the unique story of a medtech organization for maximum impact with target audiences? How do we translate science into compelling language and memorable visuals to portray the possibilities of innovation? Panelists include:
- Rupa Basu, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Corporate Accounts & Strategy, BIOTRONIK
- Kasia Hein Peters, VP, Marketing, Terumo BCT
- Kelly Leadem, VP, Global Corporate Communications, Boston Scientific
- Brian Loew, Founder & CEO, Inspire
3:45-4:30 p.m. — Panel 5: How to become a Board Member
Moderator: Leslie Loveless, CEO & Partner, Slone Partners. Panelists include:
- Martha Shadan, President & CEO, Miach Orthopaedics
- Nancy Briefs, Co-Founder & CEO, AltrixBio Inc.
- Cheryl Blanchard, Board Director, Anika Therapeutics; President & CEO, Keratin Biosciences
- Cathy Burzik, CEO, Board of Directors of Becton Dickinson, Haemonetics and StemBioSys
4:30-5 — End of Day Keynote
Carolyn Buck Luce-Carolyn is the co-founder and Managing Partner of Imaginal Labs LLC, dedicated to helping courageous leaders make the difference they dream of. Carolyn stands for women’s transformational journey to lead the way in bringing a new kind of power to the business of humanity.
5-5:15 p.m. — Closing
Maria Shepherd, Co-founder, MedExecWomen; President & Founder, Medi-Vantage
5:15-7:30 p.m. — Networking Wine Reception & Dinner